Change of Address

Please inform the ISchO if you change your residential address by entering your new address in the ISchO Portal. You have additional obligations to report your change of address; see below.

  • According to the U.S. visa regulations at 8 CFR Section 265.1, most non-U.S. citizens are required to report a change of address to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) within 10 days of the change. This requirement applies to all non-U.S. citizens who intend to stay in the United States for more than 30 days.

    • Individuals in F-1 and J-1 status: If you move, you must notify your F-1 or J-1 visa sponsor (the office that issued your Form I-20 or DS-2019) of your new address within 10 days. When your visa sponsor submits your change of address to SEVIS, this satisfies the change of address requirement for USCIS.
    • Individuals in other visa statuses (e.g. H-1B, H-4, TN, TD, O-1, O-3, B-1, or WB): If you move, you must notify USCIS of your new address using Form AR-11. Remember to also inform the ISchO of your new address.

    Please Note:

    • If you have a change of status, extension of status, petition for permanent residence, or work permission request pending at USCIS, please speak to an advisor in the ISchO BEFORE filing Form AR-11.
    • Remember to give your new address to the ISchO and submit a change of address to MIT through the "About Me" tab in ATLAS.
  • USCIS has not provided comprehensive instructions on completing Form AR-11. As far as the ISchO can tell, the form will be most useful to USCIS if you provide information in the following way:

    "I am in the United States as:"

    • If you are a J-1 Professor, Researcher, or Short-term Scholar, check "visitor."
    • If you are a J-1 or F-1 Student, check "student."
    • If you are in H-1B, J-2, B-1, O-1 or another nonimmigrant status; or if you are an adjustment applicant, check "other" and write in your visa type.

    "A number" If you do not have an "A" number from an alien card (permanent resident card), leave this section blank.

    We recommend that you keep a copy of the completed form for your records.

Page updated August 2023