Please inform the ISchO if you change your residential address by entering your new address in the ISchO Portal. You have additional obligations to report your change of address; see below.
According to the U.S. visa regulations at 8 CFR Section 265.1, most non-U.S. citizens are required to report a change of address to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) within 10 days of the change. This requirement applies to all non-U.S. citizens who intend to stay in the United States for more than 30 days.
- Scholars with J-1 visas sponsored by MIT: If you move, you must notify the ISchO of your new address within 10 days through the ISchO Portal (https://ischoportal.mit.edu) > J-1 Address Update.
- Scholars in F-1 status and in J-1 status not sponsored by MIT: If you move, you must notify your F-1 or J-1 visa sponsor (the office that issued your Form I-20 or DS-2019) of your new address within 10 days. When your visa sponsor submits your change of address to SEVIS, this satisfies the change of address requirement for USCIS. Remember to also inform the ISchO of your new address through the ISchO Portal (https://ischoportal.mit.edu) > General Scholar Services > Address Update.
- Individuals in other visa statuses (e.g. H-1B, H-4, TN, TD, O-1, O-3, B-1, or WB): If you move, you must notify USCIS of your new address through your USCIS online account or by mailing Form AR-11 to USCIS. More information is available at https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange. Remember to also inform the ISchO of your new address through the ISchO Portal (https://ischoportal.mit.edu) > General Scholar Services > Address Update.
- If you have a change of status, extension of status, petition for permanent residence, or work permission request pending at USCIS, please speak to an advisor in the ISchO BEFORE submitting your change of address to USCIS online or filing Form AR-11.
- Remember to report your new address to the ISchO and submit a change of address to MIT through the "About Me" tab in ATLAS.
- "A number" If you do not have an "A" number from an alien card (permanent resident card), leave this section blank.
- We recommend that you keep a copy of the completed form for your records.
Page updated December 2023