Tax Specialists and Common Tax Forms

Tax Specialists

The MIT Office of the Vice President for Finance (VPF) has created guidance called "Tips for Choosing a Tax Preparer."

DISCLAIMER: The following is a list of tax specialists with expertise in tax issues for foreign nationals. However, the ISchO does not endorse any specific tax specialist. There are many others in the Boston area.

  • KLR & Co. Ltd., Certified Public Accountants

    99 Summer Street, Suite 520, Boston, MA 02110, Tel: 617-236-8098,
  • Costa Law Group, P.C.

    195 Worcester Street, Suite 205, Wellesley, MA 02481-5568, Tel: 617-969-9500, Contact: Nelson J. Costa,
  • PwC

    Boston Office: 101 Seaport Boulevard, Suite 500, Boston, MA 02210, Tel: 617-530-5000,
  • Arthur R. Kerr II, Tax Attorney, Vacovec, Mayotte & Singer

    Two Newton Place, 255 Washington St., Suite 340, Newton, MA 02158, Tel: 617-964-0500 or 1-800-TAX-GROUP, e-mail:

NOTE: If you are a Nonresident for tax purposes and you consult with a tax specialist, make sure he/she knows that you need to file Nonresident tax forms. Since NONRESIDENT tax returns are very different from RESIDENT tax returns, it is important that you talk to a tax professional who has experience in filing NONRESIDENT tax returns.

Internal Revenue Services (IRS) and Massachusetts Department of Revenue Tax Forms and Publications

IRS Tax Forms and Publications

MA Department of Revenue - Personal Income Tax Forms and Instructions

Useful IRS Publications include:

Publication 17: Your Federal Income Tax

Publication 519: U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens

Publication 901: U.S. Tax Treaties

These IRS and Massachusetts Department of Revenue tax forms are commonly required by average international scholars:

  • Form W-2: MIT or your US employer will generate this year-end summary of your income earned and tax withheld during the tax year. The form is available to paid employees through ATLAS by the end of January for the previous tax year. You must attach a copy of your W-2 to your Federal and State tax returns.
  • Form W-4: This form should be completed with the MIT Payroll Office upon arrival to elect federal and state taxation. Resident or nonresident status for tax purposes should be determined before completing this form. Please note that if you change from nonresident status for tax purposes to resident status, you must inform Payroll, and if you wish to change the number of exemptions for dependents and/or change your marital status, you must file a new Form W-4 (only applicable for "resident aliens" for tax purposes). Form is generally generated by the Sprintax Calculus.
  • Form W-7: Used to obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for people who are not eligible for work authorization and therefore not eligible for Social Security Numbers.
  • Form 1040: U.S. Individual Income Tax Return and Instruction forms used for filing as residents for tax purposes. The 1040EZ is for single and joint filers with no dependents.
  • Form 1040 NR: U.S. Individual Income Tax Return and Instructions. Income tax forms used by those filing as nonresidents for tax purposes. Form 1040NR must be accompanied by Form 8843.
  • Form 1042 and 1042S: MIT or your US fellowship source will generate this year-end summary of grants received.
  • Forms 1099 DIV, 1099 INT, and 1099 MISC: Year-end summary you receive for dividends (DIV), interest (INT) or other miscellaneous (MISC) income paid to you.
  • Form 4868: Used to request an extension (until August 15) for filing your tax return. You can only request an extension for filing your tax return; if you owe any taxes, you must include a check to the IRS when you submit the extension request (with interest).
  • Form 8233: Make an appointment to see the Foreign National Payroll and Tax Coordinator in MIT's Payroll Office to file this form showing you are exempt from withholding of taxes if there is a tax treaty between your country's government and the United States.
  • Form 8843: Must be completed by each scholar at MIT who is in J-1 or F-1 status and who is a nonresident alien for tax purposes.
  • Form MA 1099-HC: Sent to you by your health insurance provider to report your health care coverage for your state tax return.
  • Form 1095-B/1095-C - Health Coverage: Sent to you to provide information about your health care coverage for your federal tax return.

Page Updated February 2024